Notes from a Plain Jane

Random Writings about anything

The yellow letter

Leave a Comment


Last week, my best friend told me that their family will move to Montalban, Rizal, a two hour drive from Manila, where we are currently living. I actually don’t know what to feel, of course sadness comes first.  We are living on the same vicinity for 9 years, which makes it easier for impromptu late night trips, tapsi dinner, weekend fangirling and a lot more. Her living on a far place will lessen those late night trips (that her boyfriend always nags us for). But at the same I am happy, how couldn’t I? We are both dreaming to leave this place one day, and this time their family will do it now. And it will be good for her brother aswell, our current place is not ideal to raise a child, especially if they are boys.

She told me that she doesn’t know what to feel she’s sad and relieve at the same time. And I totally understand her. She’s living her comfort zone, a place where she lived for 20 years to some province like place which is far from her friends and things she’s used to. Being afraid is really acceptable; even I scared a bit when she drops me this news. I can see how sad she is, that I know it is not the right time for me to show that I am afraid too. It’s has been like this ever since we treat each other as a best friend, once the other is down, we ensure that the other one will be her pillar and let her realize the good side of things.

Thinking ‘bout that I remember one event in high school where I received a letter written on a yellow paper in third year. Jona and I become best of friends on our third year in HS. Our classmate often tagged the both of us as the ‘nerds’ of the class. They often found us sitting on Science building class talking about dreams, chemistry related topics, planets and other science stuff. One thing that very common about the two of us is our love for science (She is now a registered Chemist and I am at the IT field). She gave me the letter a day after our Class Adviser announced our section next year. I didn’t expect to move to a higher section (from 3 to 2) but that what’s happened, and Jona being her wrote me a long letter saying her goodbye since I will go to another section, and it is possible that our friendship will also fade. During that time, I know that her biggest insecurity comes with friendship, and I wanted to show her that I will never replace her as my bestfriend. That time, I remember I nagged at her for writing those things because I will never leave her. It’s just a classroom away; I can still share lunch with them and do so many things with them. I know she didn’t believe me that time, but look at us now; we treat each other as our sister and our friendship still remain. The yellow letter that time is her goodbye to me, and knowing how hard headed I am. I can’t easily accept it and look where we are now.

I told her that what is happening now is the like day where she wrote the yellow letter and the day I read it. We are both afraid because of the distance, but we manage to stay together during those breakable times.  We both have jobs now, and can go wherever we want. We manage to reach Baguio alone, we can still have our ways to visit each other houses J

I do believe that our friendship is something that is destined to last forever. We are not just friends, we are now sisters. And this will be one of the changes that is bound to happen soon, I am afraid yes, but I am confident aswell that whatever happens, I can still see her at my back laughing at my crazy antics and odd ways of seeing this wonderful world.
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments: