Notes from a Plain Jane

Random Writings about anything

Movie: When Harry Met Sally

Leave a Comment

Finally after years of saying I will watch this movie, I finally manage to last Saturday. Yeah, throw tomato at me T.T
And after years of promising myself, I finally hear the famous I hate you line that never fails to make my romantic cells activated, I love that line much more than what Harry said.

Watching When Harry met Sally at 21, I found myself having an inner debate, which only happens when I really like a romantic film. Usually, I don't like to watch a known Romantic films because I usually found them over rated. But this movie is really meant to be included on the timeless romantic films that our women should watch.

I like it. I really really like it :)

I love how they show the clips of old couples and their love stories.
How each short films shows different stories but they all found what love is.
I am laughing at myself when I realized that my hopeless romanticism side has been activated, and I do wish to find that kind of love someday. I am laughing silently because after a long time, I finally admit that I am still hoping for those kind of love.

If you could ask me what part of the story I like the most, it is the time when Harry and Sally became friends on their third meeting, the time when Harry realize that it's nice to have a woman friend. I was a bit surprised that the question regarding a man/woman platonic friendship is possible, shows here. Maybe the reason why I like this part is I am somehow affected by this. I think if I watched this movie last year or before, I will have a little different perspective. Those are the times when I solidify my stand that a platonic relationship is possible and this kind of story is really amazing. But since I grow a little, and the realization that it's not easy for two good friends to take a chance on love makes me appreciate this movie more.

It's funny that when I was a teenager and I was reading romantic books, I hate it that the leads waste their younger years not being lovers. I have this notion that you could feel love instantly, like what the fairy tales says. But after watching this movie, I realized that the years between their encounter is a great part of the story, it shows how they mature and how easy it is to connect with reality.

Even though I love Sally's I hate you line, I think I would want to hear a man say these words to me too:
"Well, how about this way? I love that you get cold when it's seventy one degrees out, 
I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich,
I love that you get a little crinkle above you nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts, 
I love that after I spend a day with you I can still smell your perfume on my clothes and 
I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. 
And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Years Eve.
 I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of the life to start as soon as possible." - Harry Burns











Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments: