Notes from a Plain Jane

Random Writings about anything

Can men and women really be "just friends"?

Leave a Comment
You probably living on another planet, if at one point in your life no asked your opinion if a purely platonic relationship between opposite sex is possible.

Here are some video's that tackles about this topic :)



P.S. You can search on youtube if you want more :P

Since people are giving their side, and the decision is in your hands, I wanted to share a piece of my mind aswell.

I think that a purely platonic relationship is NOT possible between opposite sexes because genetically, we are programmed to like the opposite sex which we called attraction. But if you will ask me whether they can be just friends, they CAN but  sometimes there is a point in time when one, or both of them will consider having a romantic relationship with their friends:)

I have plenty guy friends, and up to now I can say that they are my friends so that is a possibility of a platonic relationship, but if you will asked me if there is a point in time where I have a crush, or think that we could have a relationship crosses my mind, it did.

 I remember years ago, way back in high school, I never wanted my friend to court me because I only want their friendship, and I am too afraid for a relationship. That point of view sticks to me until my dearest bestfriend told me that I shouldn't act as if I do not know that what I am thinking is impossible. People gets attracted in so many ways, some are by the look and others by the personality. When you are being friends with the opposite sex, you get to know them better that you start to care, and cherish them. It can be a start of something else. I think idea of going to more than friends crosses the mind of everyone, but filtered it and just go on with the friendship.

Here are some common reason's why  " friends" didnt pursue being "more than" what they have:
  • the other party is committed, their brain dismissed this idea
  • the other party has someone in mind and heart (believe me, most of my guy friends have crushes WAY better than me that's why we are all friends)
  • you don't want to ruin anything so you just reminding your self not to fall (its a choice :) so we can't categorize it under purely :)
  • You see each other as a sister/brother
I think for me the most common on my experience is that I saw them as my big brother, but some of them I reminded myself not to fall for because its a dangerous territory and based from my personality, it will be difficult for me to escape :P

I suddenly remember a quote I used to love in college that will summarize my point of view on this question:



P.S. I bet falling in love with a friend is the sweetest thing :) Because you are not just partners, you are friends first and foremost.
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments: